More pets get lost and go missing on the 4th of July than any other day in the U.S. Making July 5th the busiest day for animal shelters across the nation.
Here are some safety tips to help keep your dog safe this 4th of July:
- Make sure you dog has up to date ID tags on their collar. Even if they have been microchip, not everyone has a scanner to read the chip.
- Exercise you dog early that day. This will help them from having excess energy when the fireworks start that evening.
- If you are going to any parties, leave your dog at home. They will be more comfortable in a familiar place.
- Lower you blinds to help your dog from seeing the bright lights the fireworks give off. You can also add background noise by playing the tv or radio .
- Escape-proof you house and add a comfortable space for them.
- Provide interactive toys or treat dispensers, such as peanut butter stuffed kongs.
- Mircochip your dog just in case they do get lost and their collar comes off.
- Calming collars, lavender oils, and pressure wraps can help your pup with anxiety. I love my herbal calming collar, here is the direct link if you want to learn more.
If your dog does suffer from anxiety make sure to talk with you veterinarian about the best options for your dog.